Pedagogy of the Oppressed Review: Paulo Freire's Timeless Lessons
The Book That Changed How I Think About Education: Why Pedagogy of the Oppressed Still Matters Today
Some books teach us new ideas.
Others quietly change the way we see the world.
Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire did the second for me.
I picked it up expecting a book about classrooms, teaching methods, and education systems.
Instead, I found a book that made me question something much bigger:
What is education actually supposed to do?
Is it simply about passing information from one person to another?
Or is it about helping people discover how to think for themselves?
That single question stayed with me long after I finished the book.
This Isn't Just a Book for Teachers
When people hear the title Pedagogy of the Oppressed, many assume it's written only for educators.
I thought the same.
I couldn't have been more wrong.
Yes, the book discusses education.
But at its heart, it explores something deeply human: freedom, curiosity, dignity, and the courage to question the world around us.
Whether you're a teacher, student, writer, entrepreneur, or simply someone who enjoys learning, Freire asks a question that feels surprisingly relevant today:
Are we learning... or are we simply repeating what we've been told?
That question alone makes the book worth reading.
The Idea That Stayed With Me
One concept appears throughout the book.
Freire challenges the idea that students are empty containers waiting to be filled with information.
Instead, he argues that learning should be a conversation.
A classroom shouldn't be a place where one person speaks and everyone else memorizes.
It should be a place where ideas are explored, challenged, questioned, and reshaped.
Reading this made me reflect on my own experiences.
The teachers I remember most weren't the ones who knew every answer.
They were the ones who made me curious enough to find answers myself.
Years later, I barely remember the notes I memorized for exams.
But I still remember the questions those teachers asked.
Perhaps that's the true mark of great education.
Information Is Everywhere. Thinking Is Rare.
We live in a world overflowing with information.
A quick search gives us facts in seconds.
Artificial intelligence can summarize books, write essays, and answer questions almost instantly.
Knowledge has never been more accessible.
Yet something still feels missing.
Critical thinking.
Independent judgment.
The ability to pause before accepting an opinion simply because it is popular.
Freire's book feels remarkably relevant because it reminds us that education isn't about collecting information.
It's about developing the ability to evaluate it.
That's a skill every generation needs.
What This Book Taught Me as a Reader
Before reading this book, I often thought of education as a path toward opportunity.
After reading it, I began seeing education as a path toward freedom.
If you're interested in memoirs that explore how education can completely reshape a person's identity, you might also enjoy my review of Educated by Tara Westover, a powerful story about questioning inherited beliefs and discovering the courage to think independently.
Freedom to ask questions.
Freedom to change your mind.
Freedom to examine beliefs you've carried for years.
The most valuable education isn't always the one that gives us answers.
Sometimes it's the one that gives us permission to ask better questions.
That realization has changed how I approach reading itself.
I no longer read just to finish books.
I read to discover ideas worth carrying into everyday life.
Lessons for Writers
As someone who loves books and writing, this book offered another insight.
Stories don't simply entertain.
They encourage us to see familiar things differently.
The same applies to nonfiction.
The strongest books don't force readers toward conclusions.
They create space for reflection.
That's exactly what Pedagogy of the Oppressed does.
It doesn't tell you what to think.
It challenges you to think more deeply.
Perhaps that's why it continues to influence educators, researchers, and readers decades after it was first published.
Lessons for Educators
If there's one lesson every educator can take from Freire, it's this:
Students don't need another source of information.
They need someone who believes they're capable of thinking for themselves.
That doesn't mean teachers become less important.
It means their role becomes even more meaningful.
Great educators don't simply transfer knowledge.
They cultivate curiosity.
They encourage discussion.
They welcome disagreement.
And they create classrooms where questions are valued just as much as answers.
Those are the teachers we remember.
Reading Paulo Freire also reminded me of another inspiring book, **Wings of Fire by Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam**. While their writing styles are very different, both books share one belief: education has the power to transform not only careers, but lives.
Why This Book Still Matters Today
Despite being written decades ago, many of the ideas in Pedagogy of the Oppressed feel surprisingly current.
Today's conversations around education often focus on technology, examinations, AI, and skills for employment.
Those discussions matter.
But Freire reminds us that another question deserves equal attention:
Are we helping people become better thinkers?
Because if education loses that purpose, we risk producing people who know more but question less.
That thought stayed with me long after I closed the book.
Should You Read It?
This isn't a fast or easy read.
Some sections require patience and reflection.
It's a book you'll probably underline, revisit, and think about between chapters.
But that's exactly why it's valuable.
Not because you'll agree with every idea.
But because it invites you into a conversation that continues long after the final page.
Final Thoughts
Every once in a while, a book changes the questions you ask yourself.
For me, Pedagogy of the Oppressed was one of those books.
It reminded me that education is not simply about gaining knowledge.
It's about becoming more thoughtful, more curious, and more willing to examine the beliefs we've inherited.
The greatest teachers don't give us all the answers.
That idea connects beautifully with **The Four Agreements**, another book I recently reviewed. Both encourage us to question old assumptions and become more conscious of the stories we tell ourselves.
They help us ask better questions.
And perhaps that's the most meaningful education any of us can receive.
If you're looking for a book that challenges the way you think about learning, teaching, and personal growth, I'd highly recommend adding Pedagogy of the Oppressed to your reading list.
You may not agree with every page.
But I can almost guarantee you'll finish it asking better questions than the ones you started with.
![]() |
| Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire book review discussing education, critical thinking, and lifelong learning |
If you're interested in books that challenge conventional thinking from different perspectives, you may also enjoy my review of Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson. While one explores education and the other revolution, both ultimately ask what it really means to challenge the status quo.
Continue Reading
If you enjoyed this review, you might also like:
📚 Educated by Tara Westover – A memoir about identity, resilience, and finding your own voice.
📚 Wings of Fire by Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam – Lessons on dreaming big, perseverance, and lifelong learning.
📚 The Four Agreements – Four simple principles that can change the way you think and live.
📚 Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life – A fascinating look at one of history's most debated revolutionary figures and the ideas that shaped him.

Thanks for sharing
ReplyDeletewelcome !!
DeleteYou're being consistent but I guess you are not getting that much response , you should keep some trending things to get more veiws
ReplyDeleteabsolutely, but i like doing this stuff and i''ll continue as i like doing it
Delete